Monday, February 19, 2007

Polish forced laborers

In my entry "Where Is Iwacewicze?" I asked how Poles would have ended up migrating to Nazi-controlled Germany. I found this article below on a Polish family that had been forceably evacuated to Germany as agricultural laborers. There was a kind of labor tribute exacted on subjugated populations. This sheds some light on how my father might have been separated from his original family, or how Mrs. Proniewicz and family had been moved to Weiden.

The Suschinsky Family, at the University of Minnesota's Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My grandfather, Wladyslaw Grygorczyk, was from Iwacewicze (Michnowicze) Poland as well. He was evacuated by the German force and sent to a forced labor camp in 1945 - that would be Flossenburg. He was then transferred in 1947 to Weiden DP and finally to Gablingen in 1950. Records obtained from the International Tracing Service were a bit conflicting but we were glad to get them. I was born in a camp at Weiden 1948. So many of us passed each other during this time in history.